I love raising a girl because not very long ago I was a little girl. I feel more confident because I can confidently say been there done that. However, I do acknowledge that times are different and she will have different challenges and opportunities. Here are a few things I would like her to know so that she can be the best version of herself and fulfill that which she was destined to be.
- Don’t take women’s rights for granted. Once upon a time woman didn’t have half the rights and privileges we enjoy today. And unfortunately, in some parts of the world, some women don’t have these rights. We owe it to those before us to take advantage of the opportunities given to us and to help other women attain these rights. Because until we are all free, then nobody is free.
- You might have to work twice as hard to get half as far. But if you tap into your femininity it will be a walk in the park. Women have charm and emotional intelligence that is underrated and overlooked. These are going to be one of your essential tools at the game of life and winning at it.
- Being a woman is nothing to be ashamed of so don’t allow anyone to use it as an insult. This is the best time to be a woman, do you and be happy, after all, everything you do will be wrong in somebody’s eyes. Make sure you are at peace with you.
- Do not look to the outside world for credit or validation. Neither should you concern yourself with what they think. If you do you will forever remain their prisoner.
- Never stop learning. That’s the only way to grow and discover yourself, your strengths and your weaknesses and when you do embrace them. For when you embrace your weaknesses then nobody can use them against you.
- Life is not fair. You will succeed at a lot of things but, you will also fail miserably at plenty of other things and its okay. There will always be people that are better than you at somethings but, they will never be you. It’s not a competition. It’s not you versus them but you versus you.
- Read as much as you possibly can. All leaders are readers.
- Watch your friends. Be careful who you associate with. Who you allow into your mental, physical and spiritual space. You can be happy and successful for no reason just because of who you hang out with or you could be sad and miserable just because of the people you hang out with.
- Don’t let the internet fool you. I am smarter than you think. What an old woman sees sitting down is more than what a young girl sees standing up. Mothers and daughters have had this debate for centuries and guess what, the verdict is out. Mom knows best.
- There will be plenty of time for boys. That is all for now.
- There’s God he is almighty and all-knowing. You will never be alone in the world he will always walk with you. You could walk without him if you choose to but, walking with him will make your life a whole lot easier. Anything you ask of him all you need to do is believe and you shall receive.
- You are not just beautiful you are beyond it. You come from a long lineage of smart and strong women. You are made in the image and likeness of God.
- Finally, I save the most important one for last. I need you to love you like Kanye loves Kanye. I am not afraid of dying I am afraid of leaving you behind knowing that nobody will love you as I do. For that reason, I need you to be on your team and be your biggest cheerleader. Don’t betray or disrespect yourself. Your dreams, wants and needs are all valid. Don’t push them to the side. Anybody that can’t understand this has no business being in your life.
To be continued…………
LikeLiked by 1 person
She will be proud to read this someday.
Congratulations Ann Martin
LikeLiked by 1 person